2017 Open Submissions
Playwrights Local seeks original, unproduced plays for our 2017-2018 season and events, including:
- The 3rd Annual Cleveland Playwrights Festival (Fall 2017)
- Our developmental Play Lab (Winter/Spring 2018)
There is NO FEE for submitting!
Submissions are open to all playwrights age 18 or older who are permanent residents of any county in Northeast Ohio.
Playwrights may submit UP TO TWO pieces:
- One ten-minute play (ten pages or less)
- One one-act or full-length play
Accepted: Unproduced original plays for adult audiences in all genres, including one-person plays.
Not accepted: Children’s plays, musicals, adaptations of copyrighted material, and translations.
Please, no resubmissions of work already presented to Playwrights Local.
- Submissions open at 12:01am on January 1, 2017, and close at midnight on March 31, 2017. Early submissions are encouraged!
- Selections will be announced by July 31, 2017.
- 1 one-act or full-length play — and — 1 ten-minute play per playwright.
- Plays should have no more than seven actors. (More than seven roles doubled among a fewer number of actors is fine.)
- Ten-minute plays should be 10 pages or less; one-act plays under 60 pages, and full-length plays under 120 pages.
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Submissions are final! Please do not submit until your draft is ready.
Manuscripts should be submitted as PDF files, and should be in a standard playwriting format such as Samuel French. They should include:
- a cover page with name, title, and indication of ten-minute, one-act, or full-length form
- a playwright page with contact information (name, address, e-mail, and phone) and a brief (up to 200 word) biography
- an introductory page with a brief (up to 200 word) synopsis, cast breakdown, and setting
- a production history listing any public readings, workshops, or other presentations
Send your plays as PDFs to PLSubmissions2017@gmail.com. Selections will be announced by e-mail. Please, no requests for updates during the reading period.