September 1, 2022:
Playwrights Local is on hiatus for the 2022-2023 season, and our usual submission process is closed for the time being. Please check this page for updates. If you have questions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our standard submission policy follows for your reference. We invite you to consult this if you’d like a sense of our process. However, we ask that you please do not send your submissions until our window reopens on this site.
Playwrights Local seeks original, unproduced plays for our upcoming and future seasons. Approximately fifteen works will be selected each year for opportunities including:
- Staged readings of full-length and one-act plays in our Roundtable series;
- Staged readings and productions of ten-minute plays in our annual festival;
- Development of full-length and one-act plays in our Play Lab program;
- Production of 25-40 minute radio plays for our PL Radio channel;
- Consideration of full-length and one-act plays for production.
There is no fee for submitting.
Eligibility: Open to all playwrights age 18 or older who are permanent residents of Northeast Ohio, including the following counties: Ashtabula, Columbiana, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Mahoning, Medina, Portage, Summit, Stark, Trumbull, and Wayne.
Accepted: Plays for adult audiences in all genres (drama, comedy, satire, etc.), including one-person plays, that have not received full professional productions.
Not Accepted: Children’s plays, musicals, adaptations of copyrighted material, and translations.
Note: We offer an annual open reading period as opposed to a contest. Submissions will be considered for the opportunities listed above rather than specific prizes.
Submissions Accepted: N/A
Notification of Selections: N/A
Submit up to three pieces, with no more than one in any of the following forms:
- One ten-minute play (10 pages or less)
- One one-act play (30-60 pages) or full-length play (60-120 pages)
- One radio play (25-40 pages)
With these qualifications:
- Plays should require no more than seven cast members.
- No resubmission of work already presented to Playwrights Local.
- Submissions are final. Do not submit until your drafts are ready.
Manuscripts should be submitted as PDF files, and should be in any standard playwriting format such as Samuel French or the Dramatists Guild. They should include:
- Cover Page with author name, play title, and an indication of ten-minute, one-act, full-length, or pod/radio play form.
- Introductory Page with a 100-word synopsis, cast breakdown, and setting.
- Production History listing any staged readings, workshops, or other presentations.
- A Playwright Bio of up to 100 words with contact information (name, address, e-mail, and phone).
- Send your plays as PDF files.
- Receipt will be acknowledged via automatic reply.
- Selections will be announced by e-mail by the above deadline.
- Please, no requests for updates during the reading period.