2019 OPEN SUBMISSIONS
Playwrights Local seeks original, unproduced plays for our 2019-2020 programs and events. Approximately fifteen works will be selected for multiple opportunities including:
- Staged readings of plays of all lengths in our annual Cleveland Playwrights Festival;
- Development of full-lengths in our Play Lab program;
- Readings of one-acts and full-lengths in our Roundtable workshop;
- Production of audio plays in our PodPlay series;
- Consideration of full-lengths for production in our 2020-2021 season.
There is no fee for submitting.
Eligibility: Open to all playwrights age 18 or older who are permanent residents of Northeast Ohio.
Submission Period: January 1 – April 30, 2019. (Early submissions are encouraged.)
Accepted: Plays for adult audiences in all genres (drama, comedy, satire, etc.), including one-person plays, that have not received full professional productions.
Not Accepted: Children’s plays, musicals, adaptations of copyrighted material, and translations.
Response: Selections will be announced by August 31, 2019.
Note: This is an open reading period as opposed to a “contest” with cash award. Submissions will be considered for the opportunities listed above rather than a particular prize.
Submit up to three pieces, with no more than one in any of the following forms:
- One ten-minute play (10 pages or less)
- One one-act play (30-60 pages) or full-length play (60-120 pages)
- One podcast/radio play (25-60 pages)
With these qualifications:
- Plays should require no more than seven cast members.
- No resubmission of work already presented to Playwrights Local.
- Submissions are final. Do not submit until your drafts are ready.
Manuscripts should be submitted as PDF files, and should be in any standard playwriting format such as Samuel French or the . They should include:
- Cover Page with author name, play title, and an indication of ten-minute, one-act, full-length, or pod/radio play form.
- Introductory Page with a 100-word synopsis, cast breakdown, and setting.
- Production History listing any staged readings, workshops, or other presentations.
- A Playwright Bio of up to 100 words with contact information (name, address, e-mail, and phone).
- Send your plays as PDFs to PlaywrightsLocalSubmissions@gmail.com.
- Receipt will be acknowledged via automatic reply.
- Selections will be announced by e-mail by the above deadline.
- Please, no requests for updates during the reading period.