Playwrights Local is a registered non-profit, 501(c)(3) charitable organization dedicated to supporting the dramatists of Northeast Ohio. As a playwrights’ development and production center, we foster diverse talents and present locally written works. Since its launch in 2015, Playwrights Local has put on professional world premiere productions, workshops, and staged readings of works by over 75 local dramatists.
The Artistic Director (AD) is directly responsible to the Board of Directors (the Board) in accordance with its bylaws. The AD will manage Playwrights Local’s production business and artistic operations including communication, play development and artistic leadership in keeping with the organization’s mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Vision and Leadership
- Provide artistic leadership and direction in accordance with Playwrights Local’s mission.
- Work with the Board and Managing Director to support growth and stability.
- Lead the development of a long-term vision and strategic plan for the organization in collaboration with the Managing Director, Board, and artists.
- Lead the theatrical development of new plays.
- Plan and execute an annual performance schedule which has traditionally included two world-premieres, a weekend festival of readings and workshops, and a play-development series.
- With the Managing Director, hire staff during productions, including the director, performing artists, stage managers, designers, and technical staff (lighting, sound, etc).
- Raise Playwrights Local’s visibility as a leader in new play development and the visibility of local playwrights.
- With the Managing Director, maintain and cultivate relationships with local arts and community organizations.
- Maintain and develop public relations including website, social media pages, press releases, etc.
- Expand Playwrights Local’s dedication to representing Cleveland through diverse stories and audiences and building an increasingly inclusive space for all involved.
Fundraising and Fiscal Responsibility
- Develop and maintain existing grant relationships, and work with the Managing Director to create new grant opportunities.
- With the Managing Director, develop a budget, coordinate with funding organizations, and report on final outcomes.
- Resourceful use and delegation of funds to best support the mission of the organization.
Maintenance and Stewardship of Theatre Space
- Maintenance of the physical theater space at the Creative Space at Waterloo Arts in Cleveland’s Waterloo Arts District.
- Assist with or delegate the opening and closing of the theater space during rehearsals and performances.
- Maintain good communication with liaisons at Waterloo Arts.
Desired Experience and Background
- 2-5 years of experience working in theater or similar arts organization (new play development background a plus)
- Engaging communicator with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstration of effective management and leadership skills
- Grant writing experience preferred
- Passion for learning and growing on the job
Salary & Benefits
Part-time position with flexible work schedule.
Flexible hours and location. Working days vary during the season, with heightened expectations (including weekends and evenings) during rehearsals and productions.
Please email a resume or CV, a cover letter describing why this position and this theatre are of particular interest, and at least three (3) professional references to Dr. Les Hunter, President of the Board, at email@example.com by Wednesday, April 1, 2020. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their materials before the deadline.
The search will remain open until a sufficiently diverse and qualified group of candidates is found. Playwrights Local seeks to engage a candidate by June 2020. Playwrights Local will maintain the confidentiality of information provided by all applicants. Playwrights Local is a CLEan House Theatre.